DATA PRIVACY STATEMENT
Formby United Reformed Church
1. Personal data
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (the ‘GDPR’).
2. Data Controller
The eldership (serving elders) of Formby United Reformed Church is the data controller (contact details below). This means it decides how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
3. How do we process your personal data?
The eldership of Formby United Reformed Church complies with its obligations under the ‘GDPR’ by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We use personal data for the following purposes: -
· to administer membership records;
· to maintain our financial accounts and records (including the processing of gift aid);
· to provide news and information about events, activities and services at the church;
· to provide a church directory to members and adherents;
· to fundraise and promote the interests of the church;
· to manage volunteers, service providers and external hall users;
· to enable the church to provide voluntary services for the benefit of the public in our local community;
· to provide contact details of officers and others with specific responsibilities (e.g. DBS signatories) to the Mersey Synod Office and to Church House. This enables the synod and national administration of the United Reformed Church.
4. What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
· Processing is carried out by a not-for-profit body with a political, philosophical, religious or trade union aim provided: -
o the processing relates only to members or former members (or those who have regular contact with it in connection with those purposes, including adherents); and
o there is no disclosure to a third party without consent; or
· Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject; or
· Explicit consent of the data subject has been given.
5. Sharing personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and will only be shared with other members and adherents of the church in order to carry out a service to other church members and adherents or for purposes connected with the church or with the Southport and Formby Team Ministry. We will only share your data with third parties with your consent except where we have a legal obligation to do so.
6. How long do we keep data?
We retain data on the following basis:
Record Type Retention Period
Membership rolls Indefinitely
Members, adherents and friends contact details 24 months after the last contact
Junior Church Roll Until the child/young adult reaches the age of 18.
Junior Church contacts 24 months after the last contact
Cradle roll Indefinitely
Gift aid declarations and paperwork 7 years after the last calendar year to which it relates
Registers of Marriage As required by the Registrar General
Register of Baptisms Indefinitely
Personal data relating to events for which additional information is gathered e.g. Church holidays Disposed of immediately after the event unless anything has occurred (e.g. an accident) which indicates that records should be retained for a longer period.
Records of attendance of children/young people and helpers Indefinitely for safeguarding purposes
Safeguarding matters Indefinitely or until advised otherwise by authorities
DBS identity verification documents Returned to owner within 7 days
Accident Books 3 years from the date of the last entry (or, if the accident involves a child/ young adult, until that person reaches the age of 21)
Minute Books Indefinitely
Visitors Books Indefinitely
Book of Concerns Indefinitely
Hall Hire Agreements For 12 months after last use of premises
HWP Members & Supporters While membership continues or until a supporter opts out
7. Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data: -
· The right to request a copy of the personal data which Formby United Reformed Church holds about you (a Subject Access Request or ‘SAR’);
· The right to request that the eldership of Formby United Reformed Church corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
· The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for Formby United Reformed Church to retain such data;
· The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time;
· The right to request that the data controller provide you with your personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller.
· The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
· The right to object to the processing of personal data;
· The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office.
8. Further processing
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Protection Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
9. Changes to this document
From time to time we may update this document. If the change is significant we will make this clear in the Church Magazine, on our website www.formbyurc.co.uk and/or by contacting you directly.
10. Contact Details
To exercise all relevant rights, queries or complaints please in the first instance contact the Church Secretary, Maureen Williams at 33 Rosemary Lane, Formby, Liverpool L37 3HA
You can contact the Information Commissioners Office on 0303 123 1113 or via email https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/ or at the Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire. SK9 5AF.
Formby United Reformed Church
Date 15th May 2018